Estimated Time to Read: 4 minutes
The growing demands on today’s schools has increased the requirement for leadership, flexibility, effectiveness and resilience in teachers and their teaching styles. Successful teachers must have a strong knowledge and understanding of the subject that they are teaching their students. One of the best ways to meet these growing demands on teachers is through professional development.
Professional development for teachers has become an integral part of modern teaching. Also, it helps foster inspiration and growth amongst teachers. Good, effective PD helps to build confidence, promotes personal development and attracts quality teachers.
PD is an important part of becoming an effective educator; it is a way for you to advance your career as a teacher while developing practical teaching skills and useful knowledge. It works to strengthen teachers’ approach on how students learn and take on the information that they are being taught. Furthermore, teachers will be able to practice innovative strategies that they will later carry out into their classroom environments. Due to the incorporation of innovative teaching methods, students are likely to perform at much higher rates and both students and teachers will benefit from such achievement. Therefore, it becomes essentially important for teachers to develop their expertise throughout the entirety of their teaching careers.
Professional Development Improves your Abilities
The professional development for teachers consist of flexible, high-quality courses and interactive workshops. Each course and workshop provides you with usable skills, meaningful knowledge, and recognized qualifications; these help new as well experienced teachers to upgrade their professional abilities and contribute an effective education for students.
Fruitful teaching does not happen randomly. Professional development courses for teachers helps to ensure that you have experience, qualifications, effective skills, and necessary knowledge to teach your students adequately. By taking a professional development course, you are smartly investing in yourself and your students.
What makes professional development effective for teachers? High quality PD includes the following components:
1. Is directly valuable and useful to teachers
2. Empowers individuals
3. Inspires teachers
4. Breaks things down into manageable chunks
5. Has an action plan or next steps
6. Is supported by school policies and action by the school leadership
7. Is fun
For any change to be successfully effective, involvement of teachers right from the beginning is a powerful way ahead. Whatever form professional development takes at a school, the combination of personal and whole-school programs is the most effective ways to build leadership and advancement in schools.
Professional Development For Teachers – An Integral Part of Successful schools
Rather than hoping to hire a perfect teacher, a school should consider utilizing professional development to develop the skill sets required in a successful school. Below are some of the benefits that professional development can provide to a school–
1. Build confidence and credibility: Everybody wants to be perfect when it comes to being a teacher. Nobody likes to miss important teaching skills required in their teaching. Providing professional development training allows teachers to build confidence in the way they teach. It also helps teachers to build credibility as they continue to adapt new skill sets and advanced certificates.
2. Make succession planning simpler: Professional development are great tools for training upcoming principals at your school. Rather than hiring outsiders, promoting from within is an effective way to show your staff that they can have an enduring career with your school.
3. Re-energize your staff: Professional development can help break the monotony of everyday work and re-energize your staff’s creativity.
In the existing workplace environment, teachers are finding themselves faced with stressful situations. There are time frames, professional development necessity, and performance reviews, among other things. New teachers are expected to live up to great expectations in terms of meeting the modern requirements of their students, whereas older more experienced teachers are compelled to adapt to innovative teaching techniques. Continuous education is indispensable for teachers who wish to surpass in their field and advance their abilities.
How Much Professional Development Is Enough?
Many feel that professional development for educators or teachers is an integral part of successful schools and should focus on learning how to impart the skills students need to succeed in the 21st-century workplace. At the very least, students need to know how to:
• Think critically
• Take initiative
• Solve problems
• Take the lead
• Work together
• Communicate verbally and in writing
• Adapt to rapid changes in culture and technology
• Find and analyze information
Today’s students need to grow less tangible skills and qualities, too. A sense of entrepreneurialism, a strong sense of curiosity, and a healthy imagination are all qualities that can serve students well as they become adults. Professional development enables teachers how to impart these qualities.
Well.. professional development is an important way for teachers to refresh and deepen their knowledge of their own subjects and learn new ways to help students learn!